“I LOVE YOU” – We all like to be told these simple words. However, words are empty without memorable actions to reinforce what’s being said. As you start your year off, take a moment and say I love you in a way that will last for a life time without breaking the bank. Here are a few ideas:
1. Handwrite a card or letter. With the flood of social media these days, notes written on a computer can overwhelm anyone! However, a handwritten note will not go overlooked or get lost in our electronic clutter. Write them a handwritten note with your favorite memories you’ve shared together. For example, list the many ways they bring strength or stability to your life; what life would be like without them; or why you love them! This will go a long way.
2. Create a love song playlist. Make them a playlist of all the songs that say how much you care about them. Victor Hugo said, “Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent.” In our generation music is everywhere. If you cannot find the right words to say, why not let a few classic love songs say it for you?
3. Spend quality time. Nothing says “I love you” more than quality time spent together. Cut the TV off, silence the ringer and get away from the hustle and bustle of life. Plan a romantic weekend getaway or a day trip with just the two of you. Plan activities where you spend time talking, embracing, laughing, and thinking about what brings you joy together.
4. Do something special for them. Acts of service are just the way to start the New Year off right! Make a note of a few ways your spouse has mentioned feeling a bit overwhelmed lately; then make it a point to do something to help (cleaning the house or a room, finishing a project, completing a task, lending a hand, etc.). There are plenty of ways to say I love you through serving the needs of each other.
5. Go back to the beginning. We all remember when we had our first date, kiss, dinner, or a special memory that will forever standout in our minds. Try visiting those places and reflecting upon your fond memories together. Remembering the past many times will bring clarity about why you fell in love in the first place. Take a moment while you are there and recommit your love and dedication for each other.
Let us know how it goes!